Skip to main content

Featured

Challenges about Budgeting and Grocery Shopping

Budgeting and grocery shopping is one of the best ways to trim down your monthly expenses and daily spending- but there are dozens of challenges out there- especially the advice that is ultimately unrealistic. Here is a list of budgeting and grocery shopping challenges and how you can make them realistic strategies to save on grocery shopping! Challenges about Budgeting and Grocery Shopping Challenge #1- Unrealistic Research I've spent a lot of time scouring Pinterest and have not felt entirely satisfied with the results. Some articles seem too unreasonable to be applicable. More often than not, it comes down to unrealistic costs of groceries . For example, I cannot find 1 gallon of milk at my local Walmart for $1. And our Dollar Tree out in Montana doesn't have a grocery section- we do have a freezer section, but it is only 2-3 doors of frozen dinners. And our bread and produce is not as cheap as the other articles. What I have done to get around this challeng

Granny Smith Pork Steak

Kyler has two jobs now as a cook in different restaurants, and with that comes a lot of nights that I am eating dinner all by myself. I shouldn’t complain too much, he is doing what he loves most and that is to cook in restaurants. The perk for me on that end, is that I can experiment more freely since my husband is such a picky eater and then I don’t have to deal with his picky-ness very much and I can cook things he would never agree to. WHICH MEANS! I have the lovely pleasure to share these successful experiments with you!

This past Monday, I had pork steak ready to go, but had no idea how to cook it. We are also still ‘restocking’ our house after our little plumbing incident in the kitchen that forced us to stay with his parents house for a couple months, so a lot of our food went into the freezer or was thrown away. And I didn’t want to go to the store…. So I had the idea to mix a couple random ingredients from our kitchen and enjoy it to the best of my abilities. It worked out pretty well, only downside was that my granny smith apples could have been made a little sweeter before I baked them, so I will adjust the recipe for your benefit.
Here it goes!


Serves 1
Ingredients:
Pork Steak
Granny Smith Apple - Only 3-4 wedge slices
Salt and Pepper
Butter A bit of brown sugar (to toss with the granny smith before adding it to the pork steak)


Directions:
  1. Soak pork steak in a bowl of cold water with about 1 TBS of salt for 30-45 minutes. This makes the meat deliciously moist and tender.

  2. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
  3. Season the pork steak on both sides with salt and pepper.

  4. Add a slice of butter to the top of the steak.

  5. Toss the apple slices in some brown sugar, or sprinkle them after you put them into the pan.

Bake for 35 minutes and temperature must be 165 degrees or slightly more.
Enjoy!


Yam Side Dish (Optional)
Chop enough yam for 1 serving
Season with olive oil and paprika
Fold into an aluminum ball
Bake with pork steak, but put it in the oven soon, so that it is tender and yummy. I made the mistake to cook it at the same time the pork was cooking (like five minutes less than the pork) and the wedges were too tough.


For Yam French Fries:
Slice into strips
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Salt and add Paprika and Olive Oil
Bake for I think 40 minutes, check to make sure you don’t burn them.
It has been a while since I have cooked for ourselves, and it seems like I need to ‘relearn’ how to work in my own kitchen- as stupid as that may sound.


Well, I hope you enjoy the pork steak recipe!

Comments

Popular Posts