Skip to main content

Featured

Challenges about Budgeting and Grocery Shopping

Budgeting and grocery shopping is one of the best ways to trim down your monthly expenses and daily spending- but there are dozens of challenges out there- especially the advice that is ultimately unrealistic. Here is a list of budgeting and grocery shopping challenges and how you can make them realistic strategies to save on grocery shopping! Challenges about Budgeting and Grocery Shopping Challenge #1- Unrealistic Research I've spent a lot of time scouring Pinterest and have not felt entirely satisfied with the results. Some articles seem too unreasonable to be applicable. More often than not, it comes down to unrealistic costs of groceries . For example, I cannot find 1 gallon of milk at my local Walmart for $1. And our Dollar Tree out in Montana doesn't have a grocery section- we do have a freezer section, but it is only 2-3 doors of frozen dinners. And our bread and produce is not as cheap as the other articles. What I have done to get around this challeng

Fit Your Fitness


They say to watch out for the “Freshman 15”. Before setting out to college, I had read dozens of articles and warnings in magazines and online on how to avoid this horrid side effect to your first year away at college. I never could understand why these lists had to be so long. Aside from avoiding the Freshman 15, there are obviously other perks to eating right and exercising. However, with a full course load, work and extracurricular activities, getting to the gym every night or sometimes during the week, is very difficult.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t ever seem to get that into my schedule- I don’t even know when the last time I went to yoga. I’m not the kind of girl who can manage an 18 credit course load, yet. I tend to just stick with 5 3-credit classes.
Last week, my friend and I were talking about how hard it is to get healthy habits during the hectic school year. We started chatting back and forth about all these things we do to multi-task our health and that blasted busy schedule that zapps every waking hour of our lives.
Instead of going to the gym I do these 5 things- more or less.
SPEED WALK  
Campuses are big, and sometimes classes can be close together, or others can make you walk all the way from one corner of the campus to the opposite and very end of the campus. Speed walk to those classes, it’ll get you to class sooner, give you a bit of an exercise all in just a few minutes and
DRINKS
Drink all the time. Water, fruit juice, water with lemons or cucumbers. Name the healthy drink to roam around campus with, and drink it! I use a carabiner to loop around the handle on my water bottle and clip it to the strap of my backpack. Between classes it is, it doesn’t get in my way when I walk to class, I don’t have to awkwardly balance it with my books and binders, and I can drink anytime I want. Don’t forget to drink other juices and teas help your body just as well. And for those fellow coffee drinkers, try not to drink so much coffee that you lose your appetite or become dehydrated. That is exactly what coffee does to your body. If you are needing that much coffee to get through the day, then be sure to take care of yourself with good food and water.
A BALANCING ACT
Before college, my Nana bought me a balancing seat cushion from a catalog. On one side it has small bumps and on the other it has rubbery spikes. This oblong rubbery cushion makes you balance while you spend countless hours studying, reviewing and doing homework. By having to balance on this cushion you need to tighten your abs, and other muscles in your body, it’s a win-win situation for your body and your grades!

In class you can hold your abs for 10-15 seconds while just sitting there. Works wonderfully- keeps me from getting bored sometimes! You can stretch your legs out while at your seat in class, desk or work space and hold it out there for 10 seconds and then work your way up to 30+ seconds while in your seat. Tighten your core and sit up absolutely straight, it helps your body to feel better after sitting all day for hw and classes.
EAT
Choose your food wisely in the Dining Hall. It’s easy to peck through the buffet styled offerings in the cafeteria and settle with fries and nuggets, or a burger and ice cream; or better yet, pizza! There is a lot of fried and sugary foods, or even salty food. There are good foods too. Try to choose steamed veggies, but be careful that they are actually full of nutrients and haven’t dried up under that buffet lamps.  You can use your coffee pot to steam veggies too. Keep a frozen bag or fresh veggies in your dorm, put the veggies in a coffee filter and steam your veggies in the coffee pot. You can also make poor man’s pasta: salt, olive oil, steamed veggies and noodles. You can pour very hot water into the coffee pot, and cook the noodles in the pot more quickly. Eat as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day simply because it actually turns your body on. When you do not provide your body with enough ‘power supply’ (food), your body chooses to prioritize bodily functions. Breathing and heart beat and other vital bodily functions come first, and if you have not eaten enough, that is all your body will basically do. You’re not going to be able to study, or focus in class. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
REST
All nighters are something you should NEVER do, EVER. You won’t do better in class. I don’t have first hand knowledge that an all nighter is actually successful, but I am not about to risk it either.  Try, try to get 8 hours of sleep. 6-8 can be acceptable, but treat your body with as much care as possible.
How else will you stay fit?

Comments

Popular Posts